Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014: A summary

I’m prone to nostalgia. I’ll find myself nostalgic about a moment while I’m in the moment. I collect and share stories as if they were the only reliable form of trade. I capture events on film because I want the memory to last longer than my mind will retain it. Looking back on 2014, I’m surprised by the places I’ve visited, the people I’ve met, the goals I have (and haven’t) accomplished. For me, 2014 has been a year of change and growth and one that I’ll find myself looking back on fondly--both now and years from now.

I have finished three semesters of my graduate program. I traveled to four countries. I’ve pushed myself out of my comfort zone with online dating. I have lived through the worst date known to (wo)mankind. I have lost and then gained weight. I've felt beautiful and worldly, but also ugly and unsophisticated. I started working full-time in a career that I continue to work hard for. I have read amazing books, attended my first Comic Con, met a celebrity crush (and hugged him). I completed my first and second 5K. I’ve laughed, cried, cheered in triumph and wallowed in self-doubt. I’m now closer to 30 than 20 and I have a lot to accomplish before I’m ready to say “Good job, Britney. Now let’s go home.”

New Year's Eve in Denton.
One of my closest friends during high school got married in March
-- another reminder that time is flying by way too fast.


One of my favorite people (Hilary)
came to visit from Portland in March!
Visited family in Arkansas in April for little cousin's birthday.

Because I’m a listmaker and an oversharer, I wanted to go through some of my favorites of 2014. Books, TV shows, memories. There’s a lot so bare with me.


Books


Surprisingly, my favorite reads of this year have all been adult fiction. Looking through my Goodreads list, I realized that I didn’t read as much young adult literature as I usually do. I don’t regret the things I have read. Instead, I feel that I’ve opened myself up to books I hadn’t in the last few years, which I’m thankful for because these five books will stay with me for a long time.





  1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
  2. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
  3. The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
  4. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
  5. Room by Emma Donoghue



TV


So much television, so little time. I watch too much TV and this year I have somehow found time to watch even more of it while working and attending school and having a social life. You know, if I spent as much time exercising as I do watching TV, I’d probably be at least 30 pounds lighter. But then I’d be sad and skinnier instead of happy from all my fandom love. My top favorites for this year:


  1. The 100
  2. The Walking Dead
  3. Roswell
  4. Vikings
  5. Jane the Virgin
  6. Game of Thrones
  7. Finding Carter
  8. Pretty Little Liars


Even I am judging myself on my choices.  But not enough to change my viewing habits. If you haven’t watched The 100, GO WATCH IT NOW. I’m addicted and caught up on 1.5 seasons within, like, a week. It has strong, badass, smart female characters, amazing plot, and explores science/science fiction and humanity in these amazing twists and turns. Also, it has this guy:



Places I’ve visited:

The Netherlands (Amsterdam)
Germany (Mainz, Stuttgart, Ludwigsburg, Wiesbaden, Rudesheim, and St Goarhausen)
Czech Republic (Karlovy Vary and Prague)
France (Strasbourg, Paris, and Versailles)
Tulsa Comic Con
Austin for Texas Teen Book Festival, which I didn’t go to because WORST HANGOVER IN THE WORLD

Amsterdam (Netherlands) and Mainz, Wiesbaden, Rudesheim
and St Goarhausen (Germany) with my mom and family friends in May.
Worked and met some great people in Stuttgart, Germany at
the International School of Stuttgart in May.
Visited Ludwigsburg, Germany
and Strasbourg, France as well.
After a long and crazy trip including at least 2 or 3 trains and a few buses,
we finally got to Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic, where we helped
create the library for the Carlsbad International School.
We ended our trip in Prague!
Went to Paris with my sister and saw a study abroad friend!
Moved into TARDIS House with 3 of my best friends
and we got this adorable kitten, Pepper!
Met Norman Reedus, Scott Wilson, and Tom Felton
at Tulsa Comic Con with Amy and Heather!
Halloween Party!
Ugly Christmas Sweater Party

1 comment:

  1. You really did a good job capturing this year! I love the pictures

    ReplyDelete