Saturday, October 17, 2015

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon - October 2015

UPDATE: Readathon Over

I read a total of 7 books and walked over 18,000 steps. I met new friends online and won a prize (!!!). I loved having a day to myself where I did nothing but read what I wanted to read. Thank you to all who helped make this readathon what it was!


  • Little Fish by Ramsey Beyer (272 pages)
  • Through the Woods by Emily Carroll (208 pages)
  • milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (194 pages)
  • After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy (400 pages)
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (120 pages)
  • Ariel by Sylvia Plath (256 pages)
  • Drama by Raina Telgemeir (240 pages)
Total pages read: 1690 (WHAT?!)

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
Probably halfway through the readathon (so hours 10-12). Not sure if that's because I was tired or because the book I was reading was kind of dragging for me.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
Of the books I read this year, I really enjoyed Through the Woods, milk and honey, and Drama. They were fast reads that kept me entertained. I loved milk and honey so much that I'll be buying a copy to own.

Other books that I think might be good readathon books: Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (had plans to read this during the readathon but didn't make it to it. Reading it today and loving it.), any of the Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison, Love & Misadventure by Lang Leav (another one that I need to buy for my personal library), This One Summer by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki. This list could go on and on.  

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
Not that I can think of. The facilitators did an amazing job!

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
The camaraderie of the other participants, the fun challenges to do during reading breaks, and knowing that there is a large group of people out there that is just as much of a book nerd as you. 

5. How many books did you read?
Seven!

6. What were the names of the books you read?

  • Little Fish by Ramsey Beyer 
  • Through the Woods by Emily Carroll 
  • milk and honey by Rupi Kaur 
  • After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy 
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson 
  • Ariel by Sylvia Plath 
  • Drama by Raina Telgemeir 

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
milk and honey by Rupi Kaur

8. Which did you enjoy least?
Ariel by Sylvia Plath (I feel so sad saying that)

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
I was not a cheerleader but THANK YOU TO ALL WHO WERE CHEERLEADERS!

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I'd love to participate again if I have time. I'd probably participate by reading again with some breaks in cheerleading.






UPDATE: 7:00 PM CST

Still reading book 4 but a little over halfway through it. I did take a break to eat and surf the internet but I'm now back into the swing of things. I did want to do the mid-event survey, so here we go:

1. What are you reading right now?
After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy

2. How many books have you read so far?
Finished three and halfway through the fourth.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
Ariel by Sylvia Plath or Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. I wanted to get to I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson but I doubt I'd be able to finish it today. We'll see...

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
I did have an errand to do this morning, which took about two hours. And then I would find myself interrupting myself. I rolled with the punches and then got back into the groove. It's helped to see so many others reading and sharing their readathon days.

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
How much I've been able to read! And that I have eaten as badly as I thought I would. I still have that ice-cream in the freezer though...


UPDATE: 2:00 PM CST

I've finished three books so far!

Little Fish by Ramsey Beyer (272 pages)
Through the Woods by Emily Carroll (208 pages)
milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (194 pages)

I LOVED milk and honey. I'll definitely be buying a personal copy because the one I read I borrowed from the library. I also really enjoyed Through the Woods for a fun, creepy read and Little Fish was oddly nostalgic and kind of relatable for me.

I've also participated in two mini challenges. The Cover Escape challenge and the Halloween Read challenge. I participated in both of those on Twitter. I'm hoping to participate in a few others but I'm about to get back to reading with After the Kiss by Terra Elan McVoy. 



I'm late to the introductory post because I started reading as soon as I woke up (7 AM on a SATURDAY! You know I'm invested when...) and then had to run an errand which took up about two hours of my reading time. Thankfully I have an audiobook in my car so I kind of got some reading time in when I was driving around. 

So, here is my introduction to this year's Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Dallas, Texas

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
milk and honey by Rupi Kaur 
Ariel by Sylvia Plath 
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
THIS:


4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I work full-time as a library assistant at a public library and in my last year of grad school for my MLS. I LOVE reading and all things books. My first and ever-constant passion is writing, though. I used to run a book blog with one of my friends (I Eat Words). I love to travel and eat all things chocolate. I'm friendly and love to meet people so say hi!

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I think I participated in a readathon last year and this year I've picked a lot more books that are doable for within a 24-hour stretch. Verse novels, collections of poetry, graphic novels, etc. Also have a novel in there that I'm hoping to finish as well.

This is my reading stack for today: 

Here's hoping I can get through all of them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This is Ahavah from twitter/LJ. You're so far ahead of me! I've been sucked into all the wonderful readathon chatting online, but now I need to buckle down and actually finish some books.

    I ended up finishing The Bell Jar last night. Good stuff! Now I'm wanting more, and you keep enticing me with Ariel. I need to see if our library offers an ebook loan so I can revel this weekend.

    Keep plowing along, and happy reading to you as well!

    ReplyDelete